Thursday, July 8, 2010

OK I'm not going to starve to death after all


After a sleepless extremely hot night in the dorm, my roommates and I woke up at 5am. We didn't have to be anywhere until 8 so we just sat around and relaxed. I skipped breakfast because I already knew I wasn't going to like the food at the resturant they were going to. Around 8:15am, Lydia and Queenie came to pick us up along with the other TAs and teachers. We went to Dharma Drum Mountain where they have a huge temple/ university for people to practice Chinese Buddhism. It was actually pretty cool. We drove for about 1 hour and 45 minutes to get there. It was on the top of a mountain. We were all pretty excited when we passed the ocean on the way. Can't wait for our beach trip! Anyways, we were guided all over the temple and had a vegetarian lunch there since they do not eat foods that are animals or their products. I was happy to have that since I'm not a fan of the diverse foods here. So I ate a lot of rice and green beans and some carrots. That sufficed.


Next we went to a museum with huge artwork and sculptures all over the place. It was one persons art. Ju Ming created an entire museum that was based on two main categories of artwork. One was called The Living World and Taichi. The Living World was very interesting to me because it was all about the Taiwanese military. He was fascinated with the Army, Air Force and Navy. I have lots of pics of these things on my facebook.

On the way home, Lydia gave us a bunch of American snacks like Doritos and Oreos because we were starving and exhausted at that point. We were all very happy. After our bus ride back, Queenie and Lydia took us to eat. They uncovered a new amazing street filled with actual resturants, a SUBWAY (which is where I ate tonight haha), and nice, clean people where I feel safer. And its RIGHT off campus. I am so relieved that I will be able to eat food now. After I ate, Daniel and I scoped out the gym. I decided to go running on the treadmill for a little while. Now that I'm completely exhausted I am about to go to bed. I never thought that I would be so happy to go to bed by 9am. Tomorrow is my first day of class. Might not be too exciting. Not sure if I will update tomorrow or not.

OHHH one more thing. I don't think I told you about our toilet situation. So most places here do not supply you with toilet paper. Its like BYOTP haha also they have some regular stalls and some stalls with a squatty potty. If I can help it, I do not plan on using this:


I had a much better day today. I think I am over the culture shock and am ready to slowly become one with Taiwan haha

2 comments:

  1. So email me an adress and i will send TP! That is strange! Comical!! Glad to hear you had a better day!! I would truly like your adress though!!! Warm Fuzzies me

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! But Im glad you're thriving!

    ReplyDelete