Sunday, August 1, 2010

Reality Check?


Friday night I went to dinner by myself. Then I went running. Now, usually when I go running I watch the ground for uneven concrete and what not. Well, Friday I was enjoying the weather and scenery too much to pay that close attention. It just so happens that I was running in a small area with a little bit of construction and consequently tripped over an invisible hose or pipe that seemed to blend into the sidewalk thus giving you the lovely image you will see below:



I also passed a man on campus who, with very broken English, very excitedly said "Good Afternoon!" to me. Its things like that that just make me so glad to be here. So Saturday I slept in and went to lunch, by myself, but its funny because now when we walk into restaurants around campus, they recognize us and since I order the same thing every time and they smile and walk up to me after I sit down and tell me what me usually get. On Thursday I ate beef noodle with Tiffany and added a bowl of rice to it for the first time. When I went to eat this particular day, the sweet lady who owns the beef noodle place gave me the extra bowl of rice for free. This seems to happen quite frequently here. I am still stunned by the generosity and kindness here. A few weeks ago we went to a nicer cafe style restaurant where the owner happened to know our Chinese teacher. Our teacher mentioned us to her. Well the owner brought us this delicious bread that was on the house. We went to a Japanese restaurant and the owner gave us free dessert. Our Chinese friend who owns the American food restaurant never lets me pay for the orange Fanta's that I order and even when I don't order them, he still brings them up to my table for me to have. This would NEVER happen in America. We are too stingy with our money, always wanting more, and not taking the opportunity to appreciate what we have and share it with others. I can say that I will come back to America with a better understanding of what the word "necessity" actually means. I didn't realize how much material possessions that I have that I don't actually need until I have gone 4 weeks with about 6 shirts and 5 pairs of shorts. If people in America took on the attitude of people here, things would be so different. Anyways, more on this later....

Today(Sunday), I had lunch by myself., no big deal, I kind of like it now. Then Daniel, Daniel, and I met up with Elle, a girl who is 24, has lived here for 6 months and is from Wisconsin and teaches English to children here in a school. We met her a few weeks ago and she came to karaoke with us when we met her for the first time. She is very nice. We took the MRT to meet up with her friend, Scott, who was going to take us on a hiking trail that overlooks the city. We got to see his apartment which was very nice! Its so interesting to see peoples homes here because their definition of big is very small compared to what we are used to. In addition to seeing his apartment, we got to go onto the roof where we got to see an awesome view of the city from inside of the city! It was a very cool experience! Then we ventured off into the city to climb the mountain. The view from atop the mountain was beautiful as ever. We got there around 5pm or so and decided to wait around to watch the sunset and see the lights turn on in the city which is a pretty spectacular sight. Also, I didn't know if you all knew, and I just found this out today, but Taipei 101 is like the 2nd tallest building in the world.

After, our hike, we went to a restaurant where Scott's friend Logan met us. Logan is 23 and has studied Chinese for about 5 year. If I can speak half as much Chinese in 5 years, I will be happy. The Americans that we meet here are so interesting. They have all lived in one place or another and are now in Taiwan for either work or teaching English. Hearing everything that they have done makes me want to explore more... maybe an internship in Shanghai?!? Maybe Beijing? A year in mainland China would do my language learning some good. Or maybe we'll just stick with Rosetta Stone for now... With my major, I realize that I literally could be anywhere in the world in the future. This makes me think of a passage in my devotional book that I posted on facebook a while back:

Leave outcomes up to me. Follow Me wherever I lead, without worryiing about how it will all turn out. Think of your life as an adventure, with Me as your Guide and Companion. Live in the NOW, concentration on staying in step with me. When our path leads to a cliff, be willing to climb it with My help. When we come to a resting place, take time to be refreshed in My Presence. Enjoy the rhythm of life lived close to me.

You already know the ultimate destination of your journey; your entrance into heaven. So keep your focus on the path just before you, leaving outcomes up to Me.

"In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling." Exodus 15:13

You are on the path of My choosing. There is no randomness about your life. Here and Now comprise the coordinates of your daily life. Most peple let their moments slip through their fingers, half- lived. They avoid the present by worrying about the future or longing for a better time and place. They forget that they are creatures who are subject to the limitations of time and space. They forget their Creator, who walks with them only in the present.

Every moment is alive with My glorious Presence, to those whose hearts are intimately connected with mine. As you give yourself more and more to a life of constant communion with Mr, you will find that you simply have no time for worry. Thus, you are freed to let My Spirit direct your steps, enabling you to walk along the path of Peace.


"Then Jesus said to his disciples: 'Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens; they do not sow or reap, they have no storehouse or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?'" Luke 12:22-26



Oh the possibilities are endless! Now that I have made my parents unhappy with the thought of my future plans, I'll end this post. Its 2:30am here and I still have an essay to write and a test in the morning! Being out of the country has definitely had no effect of my procrastination or drive to do my homework. Bike ride in the afternoon around the city tomorrow! Last week of class then our trip around the island! Sorry its so long again!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Ok Stephanie, maybe you should purchase a head light or a seeing eye dog!! HA! Hope those heal soon. They look pretty bad! Miss you -Warm fuzzies Andrea

    ReplyDelete